Appreciating and celebrating our artists and their works is one way of showing them how much they mean to us.
Mp3bullet takes a look at what World Wizkid Day is, its origin, and the dates celebrated.
Although Ayo Balogun professionally known as Wizkid, was born on July 16, 1990, he has been honored with two celebration days.
Origin, Meaning & Date:
Wizkid is one of Nigeria’s leading music giants, and he has greatly influenced the industry at large.
He rose to fame over a decade ago under the tutelage of his former boss Banky W CEO of EME Music.
Having completed his contract with his former boss, Wizkid set up his own label named Starboy Entertainment.
Over the years, Wizzy has gained fans and popularity both locally and internationally with his Afrobeat music.
As part of a conscious effort to honor and celebrate the lifetime musical achievements of Wizkid, Mark Dayton former Governor of Minnesota United States of America honored him with a day.
October 6 was declared by the governor as Wizkid Day in the year 2018.
This is the first time, World Wizkid Day was officially recognized and celebrated.
To acknowledge this, the governor presented a document officially signed, stamped, and sealed.
- RELATED: Top Nigerian Artists and their celebrity girlfriends/Wives
- RELATED: Wizkid hints at a collaboration with Omah Lay
Citing the achievements that earned him this historic feat, they include;
- Becoming the first African artist to sell out the Skyway Theatre Minneapolis.
- Making a Billboard number one with his hit song ‘One Dance’ featuring Drake.
- Selling out the 20,000 capacity O2 Arena London.
- Walking the runway as a model for Dolce and Gabbana.
- Wizkid was the youngest African artist to get a Grammy nomination at the age of 26.
- He became the first Afrobeats artist to appear in the 2018 Guinness World Records for his contribution to ‘One Dance’
- One Dance has the Guinness World Record as the most played song on Spotify with over 1 billion streams.
- He became the first African artist to sell out and perform as a headliner at the Royal Albert Hall in London
- He sold out the hall in 72 hours with one of the most iconic performances at the event.
- Also, Starboy became the First Nigerian artist to win the prestigious (ASCAP).
- RELATED: Top 5 songs that featured Joeboy in 2020
- RELATED: 5 Nigerian artistes who come from a wealthy background
However, these achievements are barely just the tip of the many he has achieved.
Although, many may wonder why then is Wizkid’s day trending today February 4th, well here’s why;
A fan page, @TeamWizkidFc on Twitter wrote:
“Every FEBRUARY 4 was set aside to celebrate the KING of Afrobeat @wizkidayo for his greatness and contribution to the development of Africa music at large. #WorldWizkidDay Red heartEagle.”
So, to ease the tension and confusion World Wizkid Day has two different days of celebration.
The first is October 6, while the second World Wizkid Day is February 4.