On the 8th of April, One-half of the defunct music group, P-Square, Mr. P, sat down with Beat FM presenters, Osi Suave and Ada on the Morning Rush Show where they discussed his debut album, The Prodigal, the refusal of fans to move on from the split with his brother and future plans.
In the interview, Mr. P strongly affirmed that he has moved on from the split and that also spoke on the inspiration behind his debut album, “The prodigal”.
Here are some things he said during the interview;
- His debut album title, ‘The Prodigal’, was inspired by people likening him to the prodigal son. But for him, his use of the label is to redefine it to mean someone who is independent and successful.
- He revealed he has a certificate in music and is a multi-instrumentalist who according to him, can play virtually any instrument despite what people only taking him as a dancer during his P-square days. For him, his album is his way of making it known that he is more than a dancer.
- His album release got delayed thrice due to him and his family being infected with Covid-19, the #ENDSars protests and DJ Switch’s involvement with the movement and resultant exile, and then the death of his father-in-law.
- He worked with DJ Switch while creating his album and said she was his biggest critic. He also mentioned that he believed she wasn’t being duly celebrated for her actions and sacrifice during the #ENDSars protests.
- One of the songs from his album, “I Love You” which features Tamar Braxton, Simi and Teni was made after Tamar came visiting Nigeria while filming for her reality TV show, The Braxtons.
- RELATED: Highest peaking albums by Nigerian artists in the UK Apple Music chart
- RELATED: List of Top 10 most streamed Nigerian solo songs on Spotify so far
- According to him, Tamar made it known that she wanted to meet Teni and Simi so Peter had orchestrated the meeting over dinner and they’d all naturally started to make music with him playing the keyboard as well as the guitar. They’d eventually headed to his studio to produce it and he has now released it on his album two years after.
- He didn’t release music for a year due to comparison and competition which he stated that he hates.
- He has a world tour in view as well as the second edition of his virtual concert where he plans to not only sing and perform but go full throttle and dance as well.
- He and his family also have a reality TV show, titled The Okoye’s, which he has been recording over the past four years, coming up.
- While he maintained his stance not to speak on his and his brother’s split and current relationship, he made it known that heartbroken P-Square fans had served as the haters and backbiters in their story. He however stated that he had forgiven them.
Watch his interview here