Since his rise to fame in 2012, Burna Boy has stamped his legacy in the music scene, with his achievements proving him to be the “African Giant.”
Burna Boy, who turned 30 on July 2, 2021, has been in the music industry for a long time but didn’t the deserved recognition until recent times when his achievements began more prominent.
Furthermore, The versatile artist has in today times become of one Africa’s influential artists and the face of Afrobeat.
Not only has he conquered the Nigerian Music Market but he has been able to represent his homeland on the global stage.
- RELATED: Recap of Burna Boy’s international awards and nominations
- RELATED: Top 10 Favorite songs from Burna Boy
To honour his 30th birthday, Mp3bullet.ng has gathered a list of achievements Burna Boy has materialised in recent times;
View this post on Instagram
His album, Twice As Tall, won a Grammy for Best Global Album in 2021 giving the self-styled Odogwu another chance after he lost to Angelique Kidjo the previous year.
He became the first Nigerian and the first Afrobeat artist to do so making this is a historical win.
3-time winner of BET Best International Act award:
Burna Boy won the award for Best International Act at the recent BET Awards, impressing the country for the umpteenth time. This was his third victory, and he became the first African act to receive three BET nominations and win in a row.
Achieving a Billion streams with “African Giant”
Burna boy released his game-changing album, “African Giant” in 2019 and while it didn’t win the Grammys Best World Album category in 2020, it was a critical success.
In 2020, Burna celebrated the one year anniversary of the album and revealed that the album achieved one Billion streams making it one of the few albums by an African artist to achieve this.
The only other Nigerian artist who has topped this record is Davido with his “A Good Time” album.
View this post on Instagram
The first African artist with three albums that have 100 million streams each on Spotify;
In 2021, Burna Boy broke another record after he became the first African artist to have three albums with 100 million streams each on Spotify
The albums to achieve this feat include his three last albums; Outside(2018), African Giant(2019) and Twice as Tall(2020).
- RELATED: 10 Times Burna Boy delivered on Nigerian Songs he was featured on
- RELATED: Burna Boy’ Songs: The Love and hatred it has generated
Other achievements by Burna Boy includes;
- “Ye” becomes certified gold in the US and France.
- “On Low” is one of the two Nigerian songs to have surpassed 200 Million views on Youtube.
- He is the first Afrobeat artist to perform at the Grammys, BET, and BRIT Award shows.
- His songs ‘Ye” and “On The Low” are two of the three Nigerian Songs to have surpassed 100 Million streams on Spotify.
- In 2020, he was nominated for the Music of Black Origin Award in the Best International Act category, which he won.
- His list of international collaborators includes Beyonce, Sia, Justin Bieber, Stormzy, Ed Sheeran, Chris Martins, Naughty by Nature, Diddy, Future, Becky G e.t.c