There have been many arguments in the Nigerian music industry about who the new Fela is. Mp3bullet.ng believes no one can be compared to Fela.
Fela‘s name has been involved in many a conversation about who is feat to take over from him. Some people believe Burna Boy is a fitting image, others believe Falz the Bahd Guy is an epitome of the late legend. Then there’s the school of thought that Brymo is the one.
Even though his sons, Seun Kuti and Femi Kuti, have stated numerously that they’re different from their father, people still compare them to him as well. Sometimes asking why they are not doing enough.
Here’s why we think no one else can be like Fela:
1) He was fearless. He would get out of prison one day after getting a stern warning from the Nigerian government to refrain from criticism, and the next minute he’s releasing a song that shares his jaundiced experience with said government. Going so far as to naming names.
2) He was a vocal critic of the government, and did this during military rule when everyone was stiffened in fear.
3) He was brought up by an activist mother, and became an effective activist himself.
4) Fela Kuti didn’t care about getting accolades, he didn’t battle for bragging rights with anyone. He was just saying it as it is.
5) He married 27 women in one day. Half of the artist that have been compared to him, (one way or another) can’t even get their baby mamas straight, or keep their family business out of the news.
6) He was a great instrumentalist, and he took his time with his lyrics. Caring more about the message, not hits.